As the season approaches, mild weather and above average temperatures have allowed fair board members and crews the ability to continue construction on a number of large capital improvements throughout the facility. The new all aluminum bleachers are going up fast (as pictured) with installation due to be finished by late March. Bathrooms are coming along nicely, as plans changed from the original release in January with a complete new building housing the top-of-the-line restroom facility which will be located on the backside of the backstretch bleachers. Along with construction efforts around the grounds, track crews have had a number of days working the track dirt in preparation for the season to start. Additional projects in the works are the addition of approximately 350 grandstand seats in the pit area. Crews have reworked the pit stand around corners three and four to allow for additional seating in the pit area. Efforts should allow drivers, crews, and fans a chance to see better from the pit area.
Along with the excitement for the upcoming season, here are some updated news and notes from the winter:
- FALS has scheduled an additional practice day set for Saturday, April 9th from 12-3. Pit passes will be $15.00 with grandstand admission free.
- Lap sponsors are available for the DIRTcar Spring Nationals Street Stock Special in Memory of Earl J. Hubert. Drivers will be awarded lap money for leading each lap of the 43-lap feature. All the information on sponsoring laps for this event can be found at www.hubertmemorialrace.webs.com.
- All the payouts for the upcoming season have been updated and posted in the “driver info/payouts” section of the website.
- The driver registration form has been updated and posted on the website under the “driver info/forms” section. We are asking any driver planning on running FALS this year to print and fill out this form and bring it with you to save time in the registration line. There is no charge for registering your car for the season at FALS.
- Transponders and raceceivers will again be required for all on track participation in 2016. FALS runs the red AMB transponders with the MyLaps program. Drivers, crews, and fans will have the opportunity to monitor all the lap times and scoring on Race Monitor each night. Transponder rental is $5.00 per night.
- All classes will qualify on regular nights in 2016 pending any weather or time restraints. Late Models and Modifieds will qualify two laps with two cars per session. Sportsman and Street Stocks will qualify two laps with 3-4 cars per session. FALS weekly format will be the same as last year to start the season.
- Jim Cornelison will be coming back to the Prairie Dirt Classic again this year to sing the national anthem. Interested parties wishing to donate for Jim’s return and the opportunity for the private meet and greet can contact Chris Matich at 815-830-9731. All extra proceeds will once again go to a great veteran’s charity.
Late Model Tire Rules
- May 7th FALS Frenzy MARS/ALMS: Hoosier LM 20 or Hoosier LM 40 ONLY on any corner!!
- June 25th UMP Summer Nationals: Hoosier LM 20-30-40 allowed on any corner
- July 29th & 30th World of Outlaws Prairie Dirt Classic: Hoosier LM 20-30-40 allowed on any corner
- ALL other nights will be FALS tire rule: Hoosier LM 30 or Hoosier LM 40 on Right Rear ONLY!! Hoosier LM 20-30-40 allowed on other 3 corners.
Modified Tire Rules
- Hoosier A40, A40s, H40 allowed until June 30th on any corner
- Starting July 1st: Hoosier A40s only with a RR Hoosier H40 option
- No grooving allowed on any tire!
Street Stock Tire Rule
- Hoosier A40, A40s, H40 allowed on any corner in 2016
- No grooving allowed on any tire!
Updated rules for all classes have been updated on the website under the "driver info/rules" section. UMP will be updating the Late Model and Street Stock rules as soon as possible. No major changes have been announced in those divisions.
Street Stock Bodies
- With a diverse crop of Street Stocks throughout the Midwest, FALS will be implementing a grace period for aluminum bodies and cockpits on Street Stocks. Drivers running at the speedway will be allowed to run aluminum bodies for a period of time which must be approved by the Race Director. Following the tech inspected grace period, drivers must conform to the UMP & FALS body and cockpits rules or lose the opportunity to, but not limited to, earn track points throughout the year.